Hi there! I’m very seriously considering Business Directory Plugin for a project I’m working on but want to know if it has a certain bit of functionality. Two questions:
I am creating a directory of facilities. Each facility has one or more staff members, and I would like to be able to list those staff members for each facility. Each staff member would have their own set of info, including:
– Freeform bio paragraph
– A photo
– 3-4 text free form text fields to enter things like “Education” or “Experience”
– Checkboxes of their specialty, a list of which will be predefined. Example “Teacher”, “Mentor”, “Facilitator” – and they can check more than 1
– Checkboxes of their specific area, which are dependant on the specialty, also which will be a predefined list – and they can check more than 1. Example: a “Teacher” can have specific areas of “Kindergarten”, “High School”, “College” — ideally, a staff member would be given the subset of specific areas after they’ve chosen their specialty.
I need each facility to be able to select a “Facility Type” Example: “Individual Person”, “Individual Facility” or “Group of Facilities”
If the single listing chose “Group of Facilities” I need to be able to associate that facility with others in its group.
– Facility A chooses “Group of Facilities” as their Facility Type and indicates that they are part of the “ABC Facility Group”
– Facility B chooses “Individual Facility”
– Facility C chooses “Group of Facilities” as their Facility Type and indicates that they are part of the “ABC Facility Group”
On the front end, from the perspective of someone searching for Facilities, I would like them to be able to filter results (or search, worst case) to find all Facilities associated with “ABC Facility Group” – which would produce 2 results in this case.
Hopefully that’s clear… I’m just wondering if Business Directory Plugin can handle these kinds of things, and if not, do you feel that the plugin is documented well enough that we (my team, not yours) could create custom add on code to accomplish this?
I just thought of another related question. I could handle #2 (above) if there were the functionality to have conditional fields as part of a listing. So if a Facility (a listing) chose “Group of Facilities” then another field would be available for them to enter the name of their Group of Facilities. This might have to be a drop down box that we have predefined, but in any case it would be a conditional field that would be required to enter IF they chose “Group of Facilities”
Unfortunately, we do not currently have the options for setting up sub-listings or conditional fields but as per my understanding, most of this is achievable if you setup the directory in following manner:
Facility could be the main category and “Facility Type” could be the subcategories.
– Facility Type 1
– Facility Type 2
– Facility Type 1
– Facility Type 2
and then you can list the staff members as individual listings in those selected categories. In BD, you also have the option to setup custom form fields for handling ‘specialty’, ‘specific area’ etc.
We also have some very good documentation on customization but we assume that you have the skills to follow the guide when you start–which include, but are not limited to, advanced PHP, WordPress API, HTML and CSS. We might not have a solution for every customization request but you can share the documentation with your team and find out if they feel it is comprehensive enough to help make your desired changes to the plugin, if needed:
Most Users Ever Online: 197
Currently Online: [email protected]
Currently Browsing this Page:
Guest Posters: 5118
Newest Members:[email protected]
Moderators: BD Support: 0
Administrators: Business Directory Support: 1714