Discount Codes Module
The Discount codes module allow you to offer reduced costs on fee plans (paid listings) as a way to promote your directory and get more users buying listings. Discount codes can be used in a number of ways:
- Discounts can be a fixed value or a percentage of the order’s total.
- Discount codes can be applied to any purchase during the checkout process (listing submit, upgrade, etc.).
- Discount codes can be restricted to a maximum number of redemptions or a limit date.
- Discount codes can be limit to certain users only.
The ZIP you download is a full WP plugin. The installation instructions are inside of it, and here as well:
Upload the ZIP as a plugin via the MANUAL process*. From the WordPress admin panel
- Go to Plugins->Add New,
- Click on the “Upload” link, and then click on Browse Now to locate the ZIP file you just downloaded.
- Click OK once you find it on your local computer
- Click the Install Now button to start the process.
- After the installation completes, click the “Activate Plugin” link to turn on the module
*NOTE: If you are using a Mac, the file may be automatically unzipped when you download it. You can change the default setting in Safari to only download the ZIP file and not unpack it. To do this: 1. Open Safari, 2. Click Preferences, 3. Under the General tab, uncheck the option Open “safe” files after downloading
- Make sure you have the discounts system enabled. The setting is located inside Directory Admin → Manage Options → Payment, scroll towards the bottom and you’ll find:
Managing Discount codes
When Discount Codes is enabled, a new menu item appears under the Directory Admin menu, called Manage Discounts.
On this screen, you can see a list of all discount codes and information about them (# of redemptions, expiration date, etc.) and some filtering options on top.
You can also edit or add new discount codes. Each of the options and fields available to discount codes are discussed in
the following section.
Adding or editing discount codes
When adding a new discount (via the Add Discount button on the previous screen) or editing an existent discount, the following options/fields are available to you:
- Discount Code — An alphanumeric string that identifies the discount code.
- Discount Type — Whether the discount is a fixed value or a percentage of the order’s total.
- Discount Amount — The value of the discount (either as a fixed value or a percentage, according to the previous
- Description — A description for the discount code. This field is never shown to users. You can use it for admin
purposes or to add notes relevant to the discount code.
- Enabled? — Whether the discount is currently enabled to users or not.
- Expiration Date — (Optional) On this date, the discount code will stop working.
- Total redemptions allowed — (Optional) Once the discount has been redeemed this number of times, it will stop
- Redemption limit per user — (Optional) Limit for same-user use of the discount.
- Limit discount to certain users… — (Optional) A list of usernames that are allowed to use the discount code.
When the discount system is enabled, a discount code field appears to users during any checkout process (listing
submit, listing upgrade, listing claim, etc.). This allows users to apply a discount code to their purchase up to one
discount code per purchase and always subject to the specific restrictions of the code (see
When a discount code is sucessfully applied, the user still needs to pay for the remaining amount (if any), to complete
the checkout process.