Business Directory supports these payment gateway modules:
Other payment gateways can be considered for future development but they are not currently available. Less common payment gateways can be added by those who understand PHP and WordPress API programming and modeling the gateway off of the included free one in the plugin.
Installing Payment Gateways
Follow the installation steps to get started.
Configuring the PayPal Gateway
PayPal can be configured quickly and easily after installing the PayPal Premium module by doing the following:
- Install the PayPal Gateway module
- Go to Directory → Settings → Payment
- At the top, check Enable Payments.
- Click on the PayPal sub-tab
- Check the box to activate the PayPal gateway option
- Enter your PayPal business account email
- (Optional, but recommended) Put the payment gateways in test mode. Uncheck this when done testing!
- Change your currency, if applicable
- Change currency display options, if you want
- Turn on the abandoned cart emails, if desired
- Save settings
- Create one or more Fee Plans
- Update your IPN settings in PayPal (see below under Recommended PayPal settings)
- You’re ready to test payments. Log out as Administrator and attempt to place a listing–verify that it goes through. NOTE: Payments will not be taken if you are logged in as the administrator!
Once correctly configured, your payment options and PayPal configuration will look like this for the Payment → PayPal settings:
Yours will have your PayPal email and your Merchant ID from your PayPal business account, if applicable.
And like this under the Payment → General settings sub-tab:
The remaining settings including currency code and currency code placement are left up to you, depending on your preferences and needs.
You can also configure payment reminders for those who attempted to place a listing, but never complete the process (“Abandoned Cart Emails”):
And lastly, if you have the Discount Codes module installed, you can activate whether to allow discounts for listing purchases here as well.
Recommended PayPal Account Settings
We recommend applying the following modifications to your PayPal account’s settings in order to properly integrate with BD during the checkout and payment steps.
Enable Instant Payment Notifications (IPN) notifications
In order for your collected payments to get correctly marked as paid, you must configure your PayPal business account to send payment notifications. Follow the directions below to set this up.
- Log into your PayPal account.
- Click the gear icon at the top right section of the page and select Account Settings.
- From the left sidebar menu, select Website Payments and click the Update link right next to ‘Instant payment notifications'.
- Click the Choose IPN Settings button.
- Enter a notification URL, select Receive IPN messages (Enabled), and hit Save.
If you would like more information about instant payment notifications, see the PayPal IPN's page.
Disable Payment Data Transfer (PDT)
- Login to PayPal.com.
- Go to the Account Settings section.
- Go to the Website Settings section.
- Look for Website preferences in the list on the right and click Update.
- Disable Auto Return (Set to Off).
- Disable Payment Data Transfer (Set to Off).
- Click Save.
Now you should be ready to receive payments via PayPal!