Are you looking for the best open source directory software? We have five of the best options for you to consider!
There are several traits to look for in the best WordPress plugins, including ease of use, flexibility, and quality. If you’re building a contact database, you might be looking for directory software that is also open source. However, you may feel overwhelmed by the number of choices available.
Fortunately, we’ve done the research for you. By getting to know the key features of the leading open source directory programs, you can make the best choice for your WordPress website.
In this article, we’ll go over the reasons you might want to choose business directory software with open source elements. Then we’ll cover the five top options. Let’s get to work!
Why you might want open source directory software
These are several reasons you might opt for an open-source choice when looking at powerful directory tools. Open source software is a technology with freely available base code. Users are allowed to modify or build upon this code as they wish.
Therefore, open-source technology has a lot of creative potential. This also means there are more eyes reviewing and improving upon the code than there are for non-open source software options. This can benefit your site’s security, as bugs are more likely to be found.
Finally, open source software is often free. This makes it more cost-effective than alternative premium options.
The best open source directory software (top 5 picks)
Here are some of our favorite plugins for business directory software that is open source. We’ve also highlighted other features that we think you’ll want to know about.
First up, our Business Directory Plugin is an all-around powerhouse. No matter what kind of open source directory you’re trying to create, our program’s customizable fields and easy interface make it a top competitor.
Besides being open source, this plugin has other useful features:
- Freedom to sell listings and monetize your website
- Option to add reviews if you’re looking to advertise businesses like restaurants
- Control over submissions, such as limiting images or adding RECAPTCHA
We recommend this plugin if you like a customized approach. Its highly flexible fields can help you add exactly the features that you need.
If you’re looking for simplicity in open source directory software, you may want to try Connections. This program does away with extra frills to focus on function.
Nevertheless, Connections has plenty of features, including:
- Numerous premium and free extensions
- Easy-to-use shortcodes to make integration simple
- A variety of Block Editor blocks for seamless editing
This plugin may be the right option for you if you want to customize your content. Its simple design makes it an ideal starting point for a tailor-made program.
Price: The basic tool is free. However, you can access premium templates and extensions at a variety of prices.
Directorist bills itself as the easiest-to-use directory plugin for WordPress. While we haven’t tested this claim directly, one thing is for sure: the intuitive layout makes using this program a breeze.
Despite the simple layout, Directorist has plenty of powerful elements, including:
- The option to add multiple directory categories for easy organizing
- An optional premium booking system that integrates directly with your site
- A badge system with options such as New or Popular to guide users
Directorist may be the ideal plugin if you want to set up your open source directory quickly. Its flexibility also helps you optimize for conversions.
Price: The basic plugin is free. Extensions are available individually at varying prices. You can also purchase a membership pass that includes every extension, starting at $69 per year.
Flexibility can be key for open source programs, especially when you’re adding a directory to an existing website. Advanced Classifieds & Directory Pro is a strong choice is you want to preserve your layouts.
Here are a few other stand-out features offered by this plugin:
- A built-in search widget that’s easy to add to your site
- A robust user panel to help visitors find their listings
- The option to integrate videos from YouTube or Vimeo
This tool might be best for you if you’re simply adding a directory to an existing page. It can ease the transition without taking up too much space on your site.
Price: The base program is free. The premium option is very affordable, with prices starting at $7.99 per year.
What sets HivePress apart from the crowd is its stellar community. You can fully customize your directory and access any help you might need to do so.
There are other powerful functionalities within HivePress, including:
- A built-in fully compatible theme to compliment your directory
- Access to an active community forum to discuss the open source directory software
- Availability for use in 16 languages
We highly recommend HivePress if you value community support. Alternatively, it can be a smart choice if you’re looking for other creators to discuss features with.
When it comes to finding the best open source directory software, the number of options can make your head spin. Fortunately, you can narrow down your options by comparing the best plugins available.
In this article, we covered five of the best open source directory plugins:
- Business Directory Plugin for an all-around flexible choice
- Connections, a simple but effective option
- Directorist for an extremely easy experience
- Advanced Classifieds & Directory Pro if you’re looking to integrate a directory with an existing page
- HivePress for an active, robust community of other users
In addition to being open source, Business Directory Plugin has a ton of other incredible features. Check out some of our other great features for more information!